Skip to main content

Explanation of Funding

Applying for State Funded Support

The first step in applying for state funded developmental disability support services is to register with the Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services (PUNS) database. To register, you must meet with a Pre-Admission Screening /Independent Service Coordination Agency to see if you are eligible for services. Listed below is the contact information for the agency serving Champaign and Ford Counties.

Champaign Co Regional Planning Commission
Developmental Disability Services
1776 East Washington Street
Urbana, IL 61802
Phone: (217) 328-3313

You can also call the Developmental Disabilities Hotline at 1-888-DD-PLANS and 1-866-376-8446 (TTY) to assist you with the process.

The individual must provide information on their medical condition, living arrangement and need for new, additional or different services. This will allow the pre-admission screener, on behalf of the State, to determine whether the person's needs are fully served, and if not, to categorize the need for developmental disabilities services.

Once eligibility is determined, the case coordination service will work with the family to make a choice of service providers. Completion of a PUNS form does not guarantee eligibility for services or the provision of services, but it does make sure that the State is aware of individual need for services.

Individuals interested in residential services should begin the application process as soon as possible. Factors such as age, how independently the individual functions, age and health of the care-givers, and need for independence must be considered when thinking about seeking residential services.

It is important to remember that openings are not always available at a preferred agency or facility. If an individual or their family have a preference, it is important to start looking sooner and be willing to accept placement should an appropriate opening become available. Emergency placements due to loss of a caregiver are difficult and unfortunately can involve less individual/family choice.

You should sign-up to PUNS if you are in need of in-home supports, respite care, job coaches, residential living arrangements, adaptive equipment, or other supports.

Even though resources are limited, the State works hard to make sure services are allocated as fairly and efficiently as possible, and they are continuously looking for new ways to increase access to assistance for those who are in need.


Our Impact

  • People Helped


  • Volunteer Hours


  • Dollars Raised


  • Program Participants


© 2018 Developmental Services Center

Powered by Firespring